Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Against the Titans - December 21, 2008

I'll start with the obvious statement: it seems the wheels came off the wagon this past week. We've already been traveling through our schedule with a spotty offensive line and special teams, and with a quarterback who gambles, Vegas-style, with each of his throws when flushed out of the pocket. But at least we had the consistent D to keep the other team's offensive numbers in check, no? It appeared to me that our D did not prepare well for the game and became a little too reliant on the media hype...and we watched the result. Suddenly team confidence begins faltering: Ben is throwing INT's and fumbling behind the line, the unflappable Reed is missing a FG and penalties are racking up. I have to hand it to the Titans: they played a tidy game and Collins stayed cool under pressure; we were thrown off our game. Anytime you see Roethlisberger with over 300 passing yards and a handful of lost fumbles, you know we're in trouble. I am hoping this dismantling of the defense will prove to be a good wakeup call to Tomlin about discipline in the home stretch. I'm channeling my dismay at this game using Wayne a la Wayne's World: "What the hell's going on? I lost my show, I lost my best friend, I lost my girl. I'm being sh*ton, that's right, sh*ton, and you know what really pisses me off....wait, where are you goin'? OK, things aren't that great, but I'll get 'em back, OK?"

No comments: